Saturday, October 7, 2017

Part One

It all began back in 1959, at the age of 4½. My family and I were heading up to Cape Cod and somewhere along the way I saw this railroad bridge with these huge boxcars on top of it, wondering what they were. A few years later I was at my Nana and Nunu’s summer cottage in Niantic, Connecticut and come to find out that the New Haven Railroad was right down the street. In fact, there was this green house with a back yard that was near the tracks and it made the perfect place to watch the trains as they rolled by. From that year on, I was hooked.

Fast forward to present day and I am in the town of Columbus, Nebraska. According to the mile marker at the grade crossing near the Sleep Inn where I am staying:




I am 83 miles due west of Omaha, what was then the eastern terminus of the great Transcontinental Railroad. It was built west from Omaha by the Union Pacific and built east from San Francisco by the then Central Pacific and joined together in Promontory Point, Utah, north of Salt Lake City.

But I digress. 

With that being said, Welcome Aboard to my blogs.  I have asked you all to come along with me and see what makes this railfan tick. As before, this blog will be more than just trains. There will be some great pictures. And we’ll visit some places other than trains to keep some variety here. Since I have a new Canon EOS T6 camera, I plan to take a lot of pictures. The best ones of the day plus the article for each day will be found at:


And if want to see all of the photos of that particular day, you can go to:


Which should be easy enough to do.

Before we head out for the night, some photos from the town of Elkhorn, Nebraska.The town's iconic water tower:


And a building with a name that you might recognize from last year’s national news:


You’ll find out more tomorrow.

Anyway, time to call it a day. Sunday, it is west to Kearney for a couple of days and staying out and watching the action roll thru town.

And before I forget, this blog is dedicated to the memory of my mom, Mary Bolinsky Zocco. She always said that I took great pictures. Pure luck if you ask me. But she was a fan and I hope to make her proud one more time.

To my youngest brother Jay, I hope you enjoy the blogs. Thanks to my kids Chris and Caty for help in setting up the blog. And thanks to my younger brother Paul for the title. I'm sure Charles Karault would approve.

I’m Philip J Zocco. On The Road. In Columbus, Nebraska.




No comments:

Post a Comment