Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Part Eleven

“It’s Fall, right??”

That is what I said as this day turned out to be just spectacular. Abundant sunshine. Some cirrus near us. Crystal blue skies. I gave HD, the Hippy Dippy Weatherman, a call. Got his voicemail: “Working on my tan, Man. Leave it please, Man. Thanks, Man. BEEP”. Gotta admit the dude has his priorities. Enjoy, HD.

Today I spent the day exploring Kearney. Visiting downtown. Train chasing. And for the first time on a trip out here, wearing shorts and a thin shirt. Any other time I have been out here, it has had the propensity to either be cold, quite cool or Indian Summer. And when I was looking at the forecast before I left, I packed the shorts but not my Amtrak hat and scarf nor my gloves. Wish I had last week. But today, it was Shorts Day. 86 degrees. I think I even added a bit to my tan. Not that I’m complaining.

Downtown Kearney is a very unique town. Reminds me of Manchester, Connecticut back home. Small stores. Pull-in, diagonal parking; and brick roads in the center of town (not in Manchester). You have the equivalents of Bob’s Discount Furniture:


Raymour & Flannigan’s:



Do have a dentist like this (they probably use the big screen to look at x-rays):


“Friends” dog grooming:


Um??:


Local radio:



Bending and suction (sorry, writer’s block):


And colors of Fall:




After lunch, I went up to see my nemesis. No, not News 8 photog Tim Clune (VERY long story), but, this bridge:


The 30th Avenue Bridge to the west of  the city and to the east of the curves’ dip (see Part 3). Every time I came to this bridge in the past, I get up there, wait around and….no trains. Walk off the bridge, get to my car. Start the car. As soon as I leave….BOOM…. train going by. I did have good luck back in 2014. That was the only time. (Sigh) Philbert loves you, Nemy (now I’m talking about Tim).

And then I found something that I have never seen before. While I was watching a loaded coal train go by, up pops a biker pops up from underground and another biker goes underground right in front of me.


Cue the Mission: Impossible theme….but at a background level, please.

And here’s this tunnel. To the south of West North Railroad Avenue. And there was this street crossing sign for bikers:


Seems the trail runs underneath Union Pacific’s main line next to a culvert carrying a fast moving creek that comes down from the city's resivoir:








The trail's walls and path were dropped in place and the creek rolls right by. This trail is part of a system of bike trails throughout the city. All concrete. Locally funded.


Anyway, the rest of the day was spent outside along Railroad Avenue, chasing trains, working on my tan.

Wednesday it’s back to North Platte as I work my way west to my arrival in Cheyenne, Wyoming on Thursday afternoon. May the nice weather continue…please?!

I’m Philip J Zocco. On The Road. In Kearney, Nebraska.

No comments:

Post a Comment